Preferred file format – Press-Ready PDF; PDF/X1-a:2001.
Source – Acrobat Distiller [PostScript to PDF/X1-a:2001], Quark or InDesign Export to PDF/X1-a:2001. Word or Publisher files [including PDFs made from these applications] are not accepted.
Document setup overview – Supply single pages (no spreads), add minimum 1/8” (.125”) bleed on ALL sides, .25” safety area from trim for non-bleed text and images, CMYK (or specified spot colors), images/graphics hi-resolution (300 dpi).
- Export PDF using PDF/X1-a:2001 settings with marks and .125 bleeds.
- Set print file at 100%, centered and 1” larger than trim.
- Set crop marks “on” with 12-pt offset and bleed set to .125”. The Marks Offset should be .167”, not .0833”.
- Include all image and graphic data (no OPI) and embed all font data. When possible, include fonts and hi-resolution graphics (Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator files). Include crop marks and flatten files.
- Include only colors (CMYK or spot) and layers that print (no FPO).
- If given choice, select PostScript 3, High Resolution, and Binary.
- After exporting, open PDF to confirm that the project’s type, colors and images appear as expected. Check file dimensions, bleed and marks.
- Submit “print-ready” PDFs. Print-ready PDFs are for desktop applications—RGB and lo-rez.
- Check options that say Simulate, Optimize, Fit, or Password Protect.